Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chapter 46

Waking early the next morning, Kara lay nestled in Richie’s arms. It was Valentine’s Day and he was leaving either that night or the following morning as the tour was picking up again. Kara sighed and turned to look at Richie.

She was going to miss this; waking up with someone, going to sleep with someone, having someone to share the little and not so little things with, not being alone all the time.

She stroked his cheek with her fingertips, somewhere along the line, between e-mails and phone calls and a week long visit, she had fallen in love with him. Kara smiled; it felt good to admit that, even if it was only to herself.


“What are you smiling at princess?”

She started at his gravely sleep-tinged voice, “I didn’t know you were awake.”

He opened his eyes, “just barely, but I am.” He took her hand and kissed her fingers, “what could possibly be going on in that pretty head of yours this early in the day baby?”

Kara raised her eyes and found herself looking directly into his sleepy chocolate brown ones. She couldn’t stop the words, really didn’t want to; they had to come out. “I love you Richie.”

His grip on her fingers tightened for the briefest moment before easing. He kissed her forehead and brushed her hair back off her face. “I love you too.” As his lips met hers in a soft sweet kiss, Kara’s eyes grew wet and a tear trailed down her cheek. Richie brushed it away with his fingers, “what’s the matter princess? I just told you I loved you, why are you crying?”

“Because I’m happy Rich; and because I’m sad.” She cupped his cheek, “I’m thrilled that you feel the same way about me, but you’re leaving and that is making me sad. I’m going to miss you like crazy while you’re gone.”

He pulled her close so that her head rested on his chest, “ahh princess, I’ll miss you too, but the time will pass quickly. You’ll see. It won’t be so bad.”

She looked up at him, “you really believe that?”

He nodded, “sure. We can talk on the phone and do our e-mail thing. You could even come out and see a show if you want to.”

Richie was trying to convince himself as much as her that it wouldn’t be so bad. He hoped she wouldn’t cry again. The image of that one tear falling down her cheek was going to haunt him for a long time. Tears always got to him more than anything. He never could stand to see a woman cry.

Kara took a fortifying breath, “I’d like to come see a show, but I think I need to be schooled in your music. I’m going to have to call Jen and have a girls’ night in so she can bring me up to speed.”

Richie rolled them so that Kara was lying on her back, “You do that princess and then let me know when you want to come out. You can even bring Jen if you want to.”

Kara’s eyes widened, “she’d flip. I’ll talk to her and see what she thinks, if she can get away at some point.” She looked up at Richie, “thank you.”

He pressed his lips to hers, “you don’t have to thank me, just make sure you come out.”


She nodded her head, “I will.”

He smiled at her, “good. Now, don’t go anywhere. Stay right there.”

Kara watched curiously as Richie got out of bed and rummaged in his bag. He came back and slid under the covers next to her and handed her a small box with a red bow on it. “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

She looked at the small box and then back at him, “what’s this?”

Richie rolled his eyes at her, “open it and see princess.”

Untying the bow she opened the box and nestled in the paper was a new belly ring. Dangling from the curved bar were three music notes; a quarter, eighth and sixteenth; and at the base of each was a sparkling red gemstone. She looked up at Richie, “it’s so beautiful. Thank you.”

Richie watched as she got out of bed and stood in front of the mirror. He was impressed to see how quickly she exchanged the butterfly for the music notes. She turned and stood there so he could see, “what do you think?”

He looked her up and down, taking in not only the new decoration but her beautifully naked body, “I think you’d better come back over here right now.”

She knelt up on the bed, “Now that I’m over here, whatever are you going to do with me?”

He snaked a hand out and up her thigh, his fingers teasing her, “anything I want princess.”

No comments:

Post a Comment