Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Monday, August 3, 2009

Chapter 26

“Dammit!”

Kara let her hands fall against the piano keys. She glanced at the clock, it was after 5. She had been at the piano since the end of the school day and the frustration had her wanting to slam the cover down on the keys and never touch it again. Taking a deep breath she got up from the piano and dug her phone out of her purse. She dialed Jen’s number and waited. When she got her friends voice mail she left a message and closed her phone. She wandered her classroom, phone in her hand and wondered if she should call Richie. What time is it there? I don’t want to bother him.

She sat the piano and then got up again to rummage in her bag. She had an idea and would need her camera if she was going to go through with it. Pulling the camera out she checked the batteries, they still worked. Setting the camera to video and placed it on the ledge near the piano, making sure the picture was clear and she could be heard. Taking a deep breath she pressed the button and went to sit at the piano. She turned her head and looked directly at the camera as she talked.

“Hi Richie. I’m sorry to bother you, but I’m having trouble with a song and wondered if you might be able to help me.”

She turned back to the piano and started playing.

I hear the ticking of the clock
I'm lying here the room's pitch dark
I wonder where you are tonight
No answer on the telephone
And the night goes by so very slow
Oh I hope that it won't end though
Alone


Till now I always got by on my own
I never really cared until I met you
And now it chills me to the bone
How do I get you alone
How do I get you alone


You don't know how long I have wanted
To touch your lips and hold you tight
You don't know how long I have waited
And I was going to tell you tonight
But the secret is still my own
And my love for you is still unknown
Alone


She paused in playing and turned to the camera again, “its here that I’m having an issue. I’m not sure the key change is right. What do you think?” She turned back to the piano.

Till now I always got by on my own
I never really cared until I met you
And now it chills me to the bone
How do I get you alone
How do I get you alone
How do I get you alone
How do I get you alone
Alone, alone


When she finished she turned to the camera once again, “okay, that’s it. Thanks for listening and any help you might be willing to give me.” She got up and shut the camera off, placed it in her bag and headed out the door.

Before she could change her mind she booted up her computer at home and downloaded the video. She watched it to make sure it had come out okay, and saved it so she could send it to Richie.

To: bluesguyatheart@aol.com
From: karad@yahoo.com
Subject: Help!

Hi there, I hope this finds you well. I’ve come to you for your help. I attached something that I have been working on. After you watch it could you call me and let me know what you think? Thanks very much.

BTW, what time is it there?

Kara


She attached the video and, holding her breath, she hit send.

Halfway around the world Richie was just starting to stir. It was early for him, but for some reason he couldn’t sleep. He cracked open one eye and looked at the clock, it wasn’t as early as he thought. It was after ten. He scrubbed his hand over his face, rubbing at the stubble on his chin before stretching and sitting up.

Getting out of bed he stopped by the door and picked up the daily sheet that was on the floor. It was a travel day today. After a quick shower he brewed some coffee and turned on his lap top. As he sat and waited he couldn’t help but shake his head and smile, me using a computer, who would’ve ever thought it. Checking his e-mail he was pleasantly surprised to see one from Kara. Her subject line intrigued him. He read her note quickly and clicked on the attachment.


Just as the video started to play someone pounded on his door, “hey man, you awake?” It was Jon.

He paused the video and went to open the door, “if I wasn’t before I would be now. What’s up?” He stepped back to let Jon into the room.

“Nothing, just wanted to see what you were doing.” Jon helped himself to coffee as Richie sat back down in front of the computer.

“I was just checking my e-mail.”

Jon sat down across from him, “well don’t let me stop you. Got anything good?”

Richie took a sip of his coffee, “actually I think I do. Wanna hear it?”

Jon shrugged, “sure.”

Richie tapped the mouse and started the video again, “come over and here and take a look.” Jon went and looked over Richie’s shoulder just in time to see Kara come into view.

They watched and listened, neither man saying a word until she was finished. “So, what do you think?” Richie looked over at Jon as he sat back down.

Jon smiled, “I think you found some real talent there.”

Richie nodded, “I told you.”

Jon rubbed his forehead, “she’s Jake’s music teacher, you’d’ve thought I would have met her before you.”

Richie laughed, “you snooze you lose brother.”

Jon nodded, “yeah, yeah. So, what are you going to tell her about the song?” Richie picked up his phone, motioned for Jon to be quiet, and dialed.

No comments:

Post a Comment