Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Friday, August 14, 2009

Chapter 37

Lying awake in the dark Kara could hear Richie’s even breathing beside her. She snuggled in closer to him and closed her eyes. Sleep wouldn’t come. She moved away from him and crept from the bed. She pulled the door partway closed behind her had she made her way to the kitchen.

Putting water on for tea, she sat down at the table with her album. Most of the pictures were old and faded now and the writing had smudged a bit but it was all she had from her past. Her brother had one as well. Their mother had made them each one and it was Kara’s most prized possession. She traced her finger over the lettering her mother had done on the front. The life and times of Kara D’Angelo was in red sparkle fabric paint on the cream pillow-top cover.

Before the teapot could whistle Kara shut the stove off and poured the hot water in her cup. Taking the cup back to the table she sat and opened the book. It always opened to the same page. The picture was one of her and her mother. The piano stood proudly in the background. There was always music while she was growing up. Her mother had played and the love for it had been inherited by Kara. With a sigh she traced her mother’s face “I miss you mom.” She lingered for a moment longer and turned the page.

She and Richie had joked and laughed over the pictures of her with braces and glasses, big 80s bangs and her penchant for bright neon colors. As she kept turning the pages she realized that the music had followed her through her life until her parents died. When she got to where the pages were blank she shut the book and stood. Heading down the hall with her mug in hand she stopped at the door next to her own.

The room was empty save for a few boxes, an old chair and her mother’s piano. Her mother had left it to her in her will and here it sat. Kara kept it tuned, but she hadn’t played it since the whole debacle with Greg. With a sigh she turned the lamp on and sat down.

Richie rolled over and opened his eyes when he realized Kara wasn’t in the bed. He reached for the bedside lamp and the low light filled the room. He sat up when he heard the piano. Pulling on his pants he went to find out where the music was coming from. He was certain he hadn’t seen a piano anywhere in the apartment.

At the door he stopped and listened, it was coming from behind the next door. He hadn’t been in that room, hadn’t been invited to see what was in it. Opening the door he was surprised that she hadn’t shared this with him. He watched as she played, noting the tears sliding down her face.

There's a song that's inside of my soul.
It's the one that I've tried to write over, and over again.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.
But you sing to me over, and over, and over again.

So I lay my head back down.
And I lift my hands and pray.
To be only yours I pray.
To be only yours.
I know now, you're my only hope.

Sing to me the song of the stars.
Of your galaxy dancing and laughing, and laughing again.
When it feels like my dreams are so far.
Sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again.

So I lay my head back down.
And I lift my hands and pray.
To be only yours I pray.
To be only yours.
I know now, you're my only hope.


He moved closer as she played. He wanted to take her in his arms and wipe away her tears, tell her everything would be all right, but he had no idea what had her so upset. He stood quietly by and waited, hoping that she would talk to him when she finished.

I give you my destiny.
I'm givin' you all of me.
I want your symphony, singing in all that I am.

At the top of my lungs, I'm givin' it back.

So I lay my head back down.
And I lift my hand and pray.
To be only yours I pray.
To be only yours I pray.
To be only yours.
I know now, you're my only hope.


As the last notes faded she looked up, not at all surprised to find Richie standing there. “I’m sorry I woke you.”

He sat down next to her on the piano bench. “Do you want to talk about it?”

She sniffed and wiped her face, “looking through the album brought back a lot of memories Rich. This was my mother’s piano. I haven’t played it since Greg.”

Richie wrapped his arm around her, “so why now?”

No comments:

Post a Comment