Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Monday, August 3, 2009

Chapter 24

As Kara was ushering the last child out of the classroom for the day her phone rang. She fished in her purse and answered, not looking to see who it was.

“Hello.”

“Hi Princess, how are you?”

Kara smiled, she loved the sound of his voice, “hi Richie, I’m just fine, how are you?”

“I’m doing fine, just getting ready to leave and I had a minute so I thought I would give you a call.” He glanced at his watch, “I didn’t interrupt class or anything did I?”

She moved to the piano bench, choosing some sheet music. “No you didn’t interrupt; we’re done for the day. I was just about to sit down and practice a little.”

Richie smiled as he added a few things to his suitcase. “Put me on speaker so I can hear you, please?”

“You sure you have time for that?” Kara really didn’t want to as she had pulled out music for a song she hadn’t played before.

“Yes princess, I have time. Don’t worry. Let me hear what you’ve been up to.” He heard her sigh, “okay just a sec.”

She clicked the phone over to speaker and set it on top of the piano, “Rich, are you there?” He clicked his suitcase shut and lay back on the bed, “I’m here princess, go ahead.”

She took a deep breath and started to play, “don’t mind any sour notes Rich, I’ve sung this song before, but haven’t played it.” He rolled his eyes, “don’t do that, just play princess. Sing to me.”

He closed his eyes as she started to sing forming an image in his head, remembering what she looked like that night at his piano.

Hey, time won't wait
Life goes by
Every day's a brand new sky
Every tear
Comes to dry
All that really matters in this crazy world
Is you and I together, baby
Just remember

The first leaves off the tree
The way you look at me
A thousand chiming church bells ring
The simple things are free
The sun, the moon, the stars
The beating of two hearts
How I love the simple things
The simple things just are

So here we go
Let's just dance
Teach my soul to take this chance
Put my heart
In your hands
Out of all the moments that we leave behind
Turn around and tell me baby
We'll remember

The thunder and the rain
The way you say my name
After all the clouds go by
The simple things remain
The sun, the moon, the stars
The beating of two hearts
How I love the simple things
The simple things just are

Oh, the ocean and the sky
The way we feel tonight
I know that it's the love that brings
The simple things to life
The sun, the moon, the stars
The beating of two hearts
I love the way the simple things
The simple things just are
I love the way the simple things
The simple things just are
The simple things just are
The simple things
Just are

He waited after she was finished; somehow knowing she would be lost to the music, like he himself so often was, “princess?”

Kara shook her head, hearing a distant voice, “Rich?” She had forgotten that he was on the phone listening.

He chuckled, “I’m still here. That was wonderful. I really hope you are giving serious consideration to my offer.”

“Thank you.” She picked up the phone and switched him off of speaker. “Actually Rich, I have thought long and hard about your offer and I have nearly made a decision.”

He sat up, “and?”

Kara smiled into the phone, picturing the hopeful look on his face, “not 100% but I’m close, so you’re just going to have wait a while longer.”

Richie sighed, “well if I have to. Look princess I have to go. The car will be here soon and if I’m not ready Jon will give me hell. Take care and I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Bye Richie, have a safe flight.” Kara closed her phone and turned back to the piano, more practice, she thought, the less I’ll miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment