Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Monday, July 20, 2009

Chapter 8

Kara was all ready the next day when Richie arrived. The driver put her suitcase in the trunk and as the warmth of the car welcomed her, a pair of strong arms pulled her close. "Good morning princess."

Kara smiled at Richie, "don't you mean good afternoon? It is after 12 already."

He chuckled, "I suppose you're right, but I've only been up for an hour, so its still morning for me."


Kara shook her head, "I forget you don't keep normal hours."


Richie laughed, "princess, one thing you should know about me, I hate mornings."
Kara laughed with him, enjoying the easy banter.

As their laughter subsided, Richie brought up their conversation from the night before. "So princess, have you thought about what we talked about last night?"

Kara nodded, "I have." Before he could say anything she spoke again, "why do you keep calling me princess?" No one had ever given her a nickname or pet name before and this had her curious.

Richie smiled warmly at her, "I call my female fans darlin' or babe and that just won't work for you. I call Ava sweetie, baby girl or honey. I was running out of options. Does it bother you?"

She thought about it for a minute and smiled at him, "no I guess not."

"So," he started again, "about what we talked about, I was serious, I want to get to know you Kara."

She looked past him and out the window, watching the cars go by, "how could this work Richie, you live on the other side of the country from me. I don't know if having a relationship over the telephone would work for me."

Richie sighed, the airport was fast approaching and he wanted them to be able to enjoy the flight so he wanted to get this talk out of the way. "Look Kara, I didn't say it would be easy, but I am willing to try if you are. I am in Jersey a lot and you can always come visit me in California."

Kara looked at him, she wanted to believe this could work, but Greg had really done a number on her. "I don't know Richie, I just don't know."

The car came to a stop before they could continue talking; they had arrived at the airport.

At the check-in counter, Kara waited as the clerk checked her flight information. "Ms. D'Angelo, you need to go to the first class check in. It's over there." She motioned to an area down a little ways from where they were.

Kara looked confused, she hadn't booked herself in first class. "I don't understand, I didn't book my flight first class."

The girl checked her screen again, "it says here you're in first class ma'am."

Kara sighed, "okay, thank you." She started to walk away and found Richie waiting for her, a hint of a smile on his face. Kara studied him, and it dawned on her what must have happened. "Did you move me to first class?"

The hint of smile broadened to a grin, "I just thought since we were on the same flight, why sit alone?"

Kara shook her head and smiled back at him, "thank you. That was very sweet of you."

He took her hand and they walked toward the check in counter, "besides, I may need someone to open my peanuts for me. You know, rock star and all, I can't do anything for myself." Kara couldn't contain the laughter; he was something else.

The flight was uneventful. They stopped over briefly in Chicago before heading on to LA. As they were exiting the plane Kara's phone rang. "Hello."

"Kara, its Jack." Richie took Kara's free hand and they walked toward the baggage claim. "Hi Jack, how are you? Are you waiting out front for me?"

He was supposed to be there to pick her up and take her back to his house. "That's why I'm calling sis. Can you get a cab? I'm on my way to court and Lucy had an emergency at the clinic. I'm really sorry."

Kara sighed, "I’m sure I can find a ride; is there a key for me to get in?"

Jack felt bad, "the key is in the same place as always, under the pot on the front step. I'll see you soon sis. I really am sorry." As Kara hung up Richie had just grabbed their bags. He could see that she was upset.

"What's wrong? Who was that?"

Kara looked dejectedly over at Richie, "that was Jack, my brother. Apparently I need to find a cab because he is tied up at work and Lucy, my sister-in-law, had an emergency at the clinic." She rolled her eyes, "it just figures."

Richie picked up their bags, "come on princess, I'll get you where you need to go."

She looped her arm through his, "thank you. Lead on."

No comments:

Post a Comment