Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Monday, July 20, 2009

Chapter 14

As they walked out of the house Kara looked to the driveway, expecting to see the huge black hummer. She was surprised to see the sleek silver Aston Martin instead. “Hummer out of gas tonight?”

Richie chuckled as he opened the door for her, “nah, this one was getting jealous so I thought we’d take her out tonight instead.”
Kara laughed as he helped her into the low slung car.

Richie rounded the front of the car and got in, “I almost forgot” he said as he reached behind him, “this is for you.” He set a small bag on her lap and started the car.

She looked down at the bag and then back at him, “what’s this?”

He shook his head and smiled, “now what fun would it be if I told you what it was? Go ahead and open it.”

Kara pulled the tissue out and reached inside the bag, her hand encountering something soft and silky. She pulled it out and just as quickly dropped it back in the bag. She blushed to the roots of her hair, “you bought me underwear?”

He looked over at her and had to laugh, her cheeks were red and her eyes were wide, “well I seem to recall ruining yours last night so I thought I should replace them. I couldn’t decide on a color so I bought you one of each that they had. I hope that’s all right.”

Kara just shook her head, “thank you, but you didn’t have to do this you know.”

Richie reached over and took her hand, “I know I didn’t have to princess, I wanted to.”

She set the bag on floor between her feet, twisted a bit so she could look at him and brought their joined hands to her mouth, kissing the back of his. “Thank you. Now, where are we going?”

Richie took her to the Spark Woodfire Grill in Huntington Beach. They were seated at a table near the patio so they could look out over the ocean. The view of the sunset was breathtaking. As they were waiting for their meals they chatted about the rest of the weekend and the upcoming new year.

“So” Kara looked over at Richie, “what are you going to do if you can’t have Ava with you for New Year’s?”

He shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know. I didn’t make any alternate plans.”

Kara reached across the table and took his hand, “well if you end up alone, please come to Jack and Lucy’s. They have a small get together and I’m going to need someone to save me from all the bad lawyer jokes.”

He squeezed her hand, but kept it in his, “I’ll keep that in mind princess.”

The waiter came with their dinners and the conversation ebbed and flowed as they enjoyed their meals. Kara looked up to find Richie watching her, a thoughtful look on his face. “Are you okay?”

He smiled at her, “I was just thinking about where you said you work. Do you know Jon?”

Kara thought for a moment, trying to figure out the best way to answer the question. “I assume you mean Jon Bon Jovi?”

Richie grinned and nodded, “yep, that would be the guy.” He loved that she was oblivious to who they were.

Kara smiled, “his son Jake is in one of my classes and while I have seen Jon at school functions, it is usually Dorothea who I see for any parent-teacher meetings. So I guess the answer to that question is yes and no.”

Richie smiled at her answer, “that sounds like Jon. Always wanting to be involved but never having enough time in his day for everything.”

Kara smiled, “there are a lot of dads like that. I’m just grateful that at least one parent is willing to come in when they need to. That brooks a question for you though.”

Richie raised an eyebrow, “oh?”

Kara nodded, “Yeah. How do you find time for school functions or parent-teacher meetings?”

He took a sip of his drink before answering. “My schedule isn’t as bad as Jon’s all the time, only when we are touring so I am more available for school functions, meetings, stuff like that. If I can swing it, I come back here during the tour too if there is something going on that Ava wants me to be at. I just do my best.”

Kara was impressed. “I don’t know many normal working guys that would do that let alone someone in your shoes.”

Richie tried to shrug it off, “she’s my daughter and I love her. I would do anything for her.”

Kara took his hand again and smiled softly at him, “she’s a lucky girl.”

Richie stroked the back of Kara’s hand and looked over at her, “are you finished, do you want to get out of here?”

She nodded, “I’m ready if you are.”

Richie paid the bill and they headed back to his car.

As they settled and buckled their seatbelts Richie looked over at Kara, “can I interest you in coming back to my house for coffee?”

Kara winked at him, “I thought you’d never ask.”

No comments:

Post a Comment