Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Monday, July 20, 2009

Chapter 15

Pulling up to the door, Kara was still amazed by the expanse of house in front of her. Richie looked over at her, her gaze trained on the house. “Penny for your thoughts” he teased.

Kara turned to look at him, “I was just wondering if I was actually going to see the house this time.”

Richie laughed, “come on, I’ll give you the fifty cent tour.”

Kara grabbed her purse and her gift and followed Richie up the walk. He ushered her in and as he shut the door behind him she turned to him with a smile, “this is the foyer, right? I remember it from last night.”

He laughed, and held out his hand “come on smart ass, let’s go.” Kara set her things down on the entry table and took his hand.

He led her through the house, pointing out certain things that he was quite proud of. They stopped in the kitchen and Richie started the coffee and they moved to the room he loved most. His music room. Guitars lined the walls, there was a piano and several other instruments and music stands scattered around as well. Kara was drawn to the gleaming piano. She ran her fingers lightly over the keys, running a scale as she stood there.


Richie watched her, “I thought you didn’t play an instrument.”

She looked up at him, “I don’t anymore. I used to when I was young but I stopped my lessons and focused on my singing. I can run the scales and pick out a few songs, but I don’t really play.”


Somehow Richie doubted that. “You can read music right?”

Kara nodded, “yes.”

He moved closer to her, “well if you can read the music and know the keys on the piano, I am sure you can play. Wanna give it a shot?”

Kara swallowed, did she really want to do this, try to pick out a song on the piano in front of him? “I guess I could try. I have to practice for an upcoming faculty evening anyway. What do you have for music?”

Richie opened the piano bench; it was full of sheet music. “Why don’t you rifle through here while I go get us that coffee.” Kara watched his retreating back and turned to the piano bench. She sifted through several pieces of music before settling on one she had played a few times before. She was sitting at the piano when Richie came back. He stopped in the doorway and just listened and watched.

It's a little bit funny this feeling inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
I don't have much money but boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live

If I was a sculptor, but then again, no
Or a man who makes potions in a traveling show
I know it's not much but it's the best I can do
My gift is my song and this one's for you

And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world


Richie moved into the room and set the coffee cups down, never taking his eyes off of her. Her eyes were closed and she was totally immersed in the music. He was sure she didn’t know he had come back. Her voice was clear and emotion-filled as she continued on.

I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss
Well a few of the verses well they've got me quite cross
But the sun's been quite kind while I wrote this song
It's for people like you that keep it turned on

So excuse me forgetting but these things I do
You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue
Anyway the thing is what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen


When she finished, Kara opened her eyes to find Richie’s intent on her. “What, was it that bad?” He hadn’t said anything and Kara was beginning to feel like she really didn’t want to know what he thought.

Richie looked at her; she needs to be on stage, not hidden way in an elementary school. He crossed the room and sat down on the piano bench next to her. “You’re a liar Kara.”


Her head snapped up, eyes indignant, “I am not.”

He shook his head, “yes you are. You told me you couldn’t play and that was just amazing. You should be performing, not hiding.”

Kara got up off the bench and picked up her coffee before speaking. She couldn’t believe he had said that. She turned to him, eyes blazing, “first, I didn’t lie, I’ve played that song before so I knew it to begin with. Second, I’m not hiding, I like my job and it pays my bills. Third, I already told you once that performing wasn’t in the cards for me anymore. Why can’t you understand that?” She sipped her coffee and paced.


Richie sighed and got off the piano bench, “Kara.” She didn’t look at him. He put his hand on her arm, “Kara.” She looked up at him, “you have a gift Kara; you just need to believe in yourself.”

Richie picked up his coffee and sat on the couch. That damn fucker Greg really did a number on her. Kara sighed sat down next to him, angling herself so she was facing him. “Richie, you haven’t told me anything tonight that I haven’t heard before, but really, I’ve gotten to a point in my life where I can’t follow some pipe dream. I have responsibilities, I have people that depend on me. I can’t turn my back on that. No matter how much I may still want to she didn’t tell him that though. The more time she thought about all she had wanted and where she was now the more she hated Greg. He had ruined everything for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment