Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chapter 4

When Kara arrived at her friend Jen’s the next day, she was greeted by two little smiling happy faces. “Auntie K!” Kara knelt down, “Maddie-bear and Lizzie-girl! How are my two favorite girls?” Maddie and Lizzie were Jen’s daughters whom Kara loved as if they were her own. She spoiled them to no end and today would be no different. Kara had a shopping bag full of gifts for each girl. Jen came around the corner and shooed the girls away so Kara could get her coat off. “Hey sweetie, Merry Christmas!” Kara hung up her coat and was immediately caught in a hug. “Merry Christmas to you too Jen.”

The day was full of laughter and love, family and food, just as Christmas should be. It was early evening before Kara had a chance to tell Jen about the man she had met the night before. Most everyone had left when she found Jen in the kitchen. “What a day.” Jen smiled at Kara, “you can say that again. I’m glad Christmas only comes once a year.” Kara grabbed a towel and helped dry the dishes.

Jen looked at her friend, she knew something was up but wasn’t quite sure what. Kara had that look about her all day. “Something on your mind?” Kara put the pot away and turned to her friend. “How do you always know when I need to talk?” Jen smiled at her friend, “we’ve been friends long enough for me to be able to read you expressions. So, what is it?”

Kara twisted the towel in her hands, “I have a date tomorrow night.” Jen was surprised, “I didn’t know you were seeing anyone.” Kara dropped her gaze, “I’m not. I just met him last night.”

Jen didn’t know what to think, “wait a minute, you worked yesterday and then went to church last night. When did you have time to meet someone?” Kara twisted the towel again, “I met him at church.” Jen shook her head, “I think I need to hear the whole story.” She led Kara to the table and poured them each a glass of wine, “okay, spill it.”

Kara told Jen how she had been running late and the only available seat was next to this dark haired man. She filled her in on everything, ending with the phone call later that night. “So” Jen started, “does this mystery man have a name?”

Kara knew this was going to freak her friend out. Jen had been a fan of the band as long as Kara knew her. She looked at Jen, “promise you won’t freak out on me?” Jen curiosity was piqued, “Why would I freak out?" Kara didn't say anything she just kept looking at Jen. She gave in, "okay, okay, I won't freak out.” She couldn’t imagine why Kara would ask that but she went along with it.

“His name is Richie, Richie Sambora.”

Jen’s jaw nearly hit the table in shock. “You’re kidding and it’s not funny Kara.” Kara shook her head, “I’m not kidding. He’s taking me to dinner tomorrow night.”

Jen studied her friend, she had never known her to lie before and, taking in the look on Kara’s face, knew she wasn’t now. “Oh my God Kara. You have a date with Richie Sambora!” The girls talked for a while longer and when Kara was ready to go Jen hugged her. “Have a good time tomorrow night and call me. I want to hear all about it.” Kara laughed, “I expected nothing less.”

Kara sank into a warm bubble bath when she got home and thought about the man she was going to dinner with tomorrow night. She knew a little bit about him thanks to Jen and Joan, but found herself looking forward to seeing him. She hadn’t been out on a date in a while, hadn’t really wanted to. Her last relationship had ended in disaster and she didn’t care to have a repeat of it.

With a sigh she got out of the tub, slipped into her pajamas and searched her CD collection. She knew she had the one she was looking for, it was there thanks to Jen. “Ah, here it is” she said as her fingers found the Stranger in this Town CD. She slipped the CD in, crawled into bed and listened, really listened to it this time and wondered about the man behind the voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment