Can Kara achieve her dream? Can Richie help?

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Chapter 3

Joan watched as Richie came back toward the car. She smiled as he climbed in behind the wheel. She had witnessed the encounter between him and Kara and couldn’t help the smile. Seeing him standing there with that surprised look on his face as Kara walked away was priceless. She couldn’t remember him ever having trouble with the ladies, but knowing Kara, Joan knew Richie had his work cut out for him this time.

Arriving home Joan bid goodnight to Richie and took herself off to bed. Richie poured himself a glass of egg nog and sat on the sofa, staring at the Christmas tree. He pulled the piece of paper and his phone from his pocket. Should I call her now? It wasn’t that late, only 11:00. He flipped open his phone and dialed.

Kara was, like Richie, sitting on her sofa staring at her little tabletop Christmas tree, wine glass in hand. She had changed into her favorite flannel pajama pants and t-shirt when she got home and was trying to unwind. Her day tomorrow would be hectic; she would be spending the holiday with her best friend and her family.

Kara’s own family consisted of her brother who was an entertainment lawyer and lived in L.A. Her parents had died in a plane crash in the not so distant past so Kara was more or less alone in New Jersey. She had spoken to her brother earlier and they had sent each other gifts, but it wasn’t the same as being together for the holiday. They managed to see each other a couple times a year, but this time of the year was always difficult.

The phone ringing brought Kara out of her reverie. Glancing down she recognized the area code as a California one, but didn’t recognize the rest of the number. Thinking it might be her brother calling from someone else’s phone she answered.

“Hello.”

“Hi darlin’.” Richie’s greeting was met with silence. He tried again, “hello, Kara?”

Kara didn’t recognize the voice, “this is Kara, who is this?”

Richie chuckled. “It’s Richie darlin’. I did tell you I would call didn’t I?”

She was surprised. She hadn’t really thought he would call, let alone call so soon after meeting her. “Yes Richie you did tell me you would call. I just didn’t think it would be so soon.”

Richie smiled, “Should I hang up and try again another day?” Kara laughed and he thought he had never heard a sweeter sound, except maybe Ava’s laughter.

“No you don’t have to hang up and try again. What can I do for you?” Richie smirked, he could think of a few things. “I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and see if I could take you out before I leave at the end of the week.”

Kara smiled and nodded “well thank you and Merry Christmas to you. You want to take me out?” Richie sighed, “yes Kara, I’d like to take you out. I go back to L.A. on Friday and would like to take you to dinner one night before I go. What do you say?” Kara sat bolt upright on her couch when he mentioned going back to L.A. She was going on Friday as well to spend New Years with her brother and his wife.

There was a long pause before she answered and Richie wondered what was up. “Kara, are you still there?” She hadn’t realized she hadn’t said a word and rushed on, “Richie, did you say you were going to LA at the end of the week?” Richie nodded as he spoke, “that’s where I live darlin’ and I am spending New Years with my daughter. Why?”

Kara smiled, “why don’t I tell you about it when you take me to dinner say on Wednesday night?”

No comments:

Post a Comment